It still baffles me that I have a four year old child. The time has flown by. As most mothers, I can remember most of the day he was born and the events leading up to it. I say most because you must take into consideration the good drugs I was given over the 2 day period leading up to his birth. I make it a point each year to tell Jack the story of his birth, however this is the first year that he sort of got it. He tells the story like this..."I was having a party in your belly and I didn't want to come out so the doctor cut your belly open and got me out." Well I guess that does pretty much sum it up.
So each year his birthday is always either the week before or after Spring Break. So in the past couple of years many people that we have invited have always been unable to come due to being out of town. So this year I just decided to invite mainly family and a close friend to meet us at a new hot spot in town called Incredible Dave's. There was so much to do for the kids like inflatables, Euro Bungee, bumper cars and bowling. Jack decided he wanted to make his cake this year so Friday night we made his chocolate cake with sprinkles to take to the "party". So we gathered round the table to do cake and presents and the server happened to walk by and assumed it was the birthday of the little girl sitting at our table. He made that assumption because Jack received a present in a Dora the Explorer bag. We quickly explained that it was in fact Jack's birthday who just happens to be a huge Dora Fan.
It was during the bowling that Jack started to meltdown and we knew our time was limited. But wait, I can't forget to mention my favorite thing to do; cash in the tickets that you win from the games for some cheap toy or candy. As always, both of the boys pick out something for way more tickets than we have. So we finally decided on 2 purple whistles and 2 fun dips. However at that point Jack was in complete meltdown stage as I believe was Sam as well. So when trying to leave, the gentleman at the door was trying to verify that the stamp on our hands matched the stamp on the kids. And of course Jack was not cooperating at all and would not let the guy see his stamp. At which point I offered to leave them there for his rightful owner to pick him up. No such luck the guy said he remembered us and let us be on our merry way.
On Sunday his actual birthday, we went to the zoo which was off the hook busy. He had a good time and his personal highlight I believe was getting cotton candy.
I did forget to mention that Joel and I definitely get the worst parents of the year award. Jack had been saying that for his birthday all that he wanted was a purple magic wand and a trumpet. Well knowing how kids change their minds we waited until the last minute to begin frantically searching for both. Gram and Papa came to the rescue with the magic wand, but still no trumpet. We ended up ordering it online and it is due to arrive in the mail by Friday. I'm sure I will feel the guilt over this for years. All in all Jack had a great birthday and is already planning for next year...if I could only figure out a way to keep him little forever. He is really cute and says the funniest things at 3 I can only imagine what I'm in for this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment