Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Boy will be boys?

Let's just say if you were to run into Sam today you would not say he was the cutest kid you had ever seen. As a matter of fact, you might immediately pass judgment on the person who let him out of the house looking the way he does. Let me explain.

Last weekend we decided to treat the kids to our first (and perhaps last) trip to the infamous Chuck E Cheese's. The boys were both so excited and could hardly contain themselves that morning as if they even knew what was to come. By the way they were acting one would think they had been there numerous times. How did they know of this Chuck E Cheese?...are all kids just born knowing? So, off we go packed up and ready for yet another day of family fun. The kids had been bugging me for a piece of gum all morning, so I broke down and gave each of them a piece when we got in the car. No big deal, both of them have chewed gum before and they each knew the rules...keep it in your mouth...no swallowing etc. Just about when we are getting on the highway headed toward Louisville, I look to the backseat and see Sam's gum imbedded in the front part of his hair. After I assess the situation and determine that the gum is not coming out on its own, we decide to pull into a hotel and ask them for scissors. The truth be told, I made Joel go in. And being the good husand he is, he gladly obliged. I can only imagine the look on the face of the person working in the hotel when Joel told them why we needed to borrow the scissors. I'm sure if they had children they understood. Joel not being trained as a hairstylist just cut the gum out with absolutly no regard to how the hair might look afterward. That would be reason number 1 as to why he looks so bad today.

And then there is reason 2. Even though they are boys, I try to dress them in cute clothes when they go out in public. So for today, I had picked out some adorable khacki firefighter overalls for Sam with a matching shirt to go underneath. I can't do anything at this point about the hair, so I have to work with what I got. Up until this point, both of the boys will usually wear what I pick out with no objection. That was not the case this morning. I am talking full out tantrum to the point he took the overalls off and refused to put them back on. Fine, I tell Joel just put some jeans on him. Joel did not pick out the jeans that I would have picked out, as a matter of fact they were a bit tight and also a bit short. But he had clothes on and we were running late so off we went.

Let me say I thought one of the "perks" of having boys was not having fights over hair and clothing. I have obviously proven that theory wrong.

2 comments:

Lydia K. Keys-Yarbrough said...

Hey Mandy!

Great blog! I can't believe how much the boys have grown! I hope you post more pictures soon. It sounds like Jack and Sam certainly keep you on your toes and everyday is a new adventure. I can't wait until I have kids! Do you still have Gracie?

I'm glad you found my blog. When I first emailed everyone the link I sent it to your personal email address but for some reason it kept getting returned. I'm glad Jaime told you about it!

Well, sounds like everything is going well with you. I'll check your blog regularly to stay updated!

Lydia

Jen Claxon said...

you make me so happy i'm on birth control