So last weekend in my quest to be "supermom", I had the bright idea that as a family project we would make homemade valentines. Many of you will likely ask "why?" Which looking back in retrospect is the same question I now ask myself. Sure, we could have spent $2.99 on Dora valentines, but then we would have robbed ourselves of the opportunity to make memories, and boy was it memorable.
After spending a half hour in Michael's saying "don't touch, come here, the next time you do that" well you get the picture...we left on our mission with $17 worth of supplies. Did I mention that the Dora valentines were $2.99?
So in my mind I had envisioned this organized scene of the family sitting around the kitchen table making our valentines and making some great memories. That lasted less than five minutes. The first thing that Sam did was open the entire bag of 150 foam hearts and of course threw them everywhere. Joel was actually cutting out the valentines, and was deeply engrossed doing a mighty fine job. Jack was proceeding to eat the glitter glue as well as smear it on the kitchen table. After trying to regain control I began to see I was getting nowhere. They needed a break. So off we sent them to their rooms to "rest", while Joel and I finished the valentines. And I do have to say they turned out marvelous...with very little help from the kids.
I believe I was more excited than Jack for him to take the homemade valentines to school and also eager to see what kind of other original valentines he was going to receive...I was shocked to see there was not one homemade card but instead all your normal store bought valentines. The kids could have cared less about the time and thought that went into our homemade treasures, butwere most impressed instead with the candy that accompanied each one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment